We received the support of the Ministry of Social Rights and Agenda 2030
The Ministry of Social Rights and Agenda 2030 has awarded the Plastic Free Menorca Alliance, headed by Menorca Preservation, a grant within the framework of the 2022 Call for subsidies for conducting activities related to the promotion and implementation of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development in Spain. This aid will allow us to continue strengthening the Action Plan for the reduction of plastic pollution in Menorca 2030. The plan defines various actions aimed at raising awareness, promoting and encouraging the elimination of the use of plastics in Menorca to minimize this type of pollution in the island’s natural environment.
In this sense, the funding received will be applied to work in 6 different areas for this year:
- Report on the problem of plastics, regulations and best practices both for the community and the business sector.
- Continue promoting ‘Plastic Free’ certification, which consists of advising and distinguishing companies and entities that reduce the use of plastic, thus ensuring compliance with current waste regulations.
- Install ten water fountains in public places with high affluence, thus reducing the use of plastic water bottles.
- Create a network of reuse stations for beach items like umbrellas, beach toys and floats, thus extending their life cycle.
- Launch an information platform on resources available to reduce the use of plastic, especially aimed at tourists. Key information will include certified companies, location of fountains, beach product reuse stations and other relevant information.
- Strengthen the circular economy project PescArt Menorca, focused on recycling fishing nets for their conversion into new economically viable products.
Receipt of this funding is a crucial step for our Alliance, as it will allow us to carry out actions with higher impact. We hope that the city, businesses, local administrations and visitors will welcome and make use of the various resources and services made available to them across the island. Menorca has the opportunity as a Biosphere Reserve to become a benchmark in the fight against plastic pollution, and we hope that these actions may result in joint efforts to this end.